Back to the 90s

>> Tuesday 3 November 2009

I'm having a rather english morning today. I've been listening to the Chris Moyles show, drinking a massive cup of tea, and it could all be very normal if it wasn't for the fact that I had sushi for breakfast.
So this weekend I had my first real taste of a Korean/expat night out. As nearly everyone is american halloween is a big deal and fancy dress was pretty much required. I bought a pink fluffy crown and sceptre with the intention of being the Queen of England, and (of course) left it in the taxi on the way back to the apartment. In the end I just went out looking like I had fallen out of the 1950s.
In Gwangju there are only about 250/300 expats so everyone kind of knows each other, or knows someone who knows them. It's a bit like being back in Hild and Bede. There was a girl dressed as Fan Death (suffocation by electric fan - only happens in Korea apparently) and a group dressed as the H1N1 virus (amazing!). Basically they took the piss out of the Koreans and played on their fears.
After some ludicrously cheap drinks and some very poor karoke (sp?) we then headed over to a club called Volume. It was Amazing! Like being back in the 90s. Lazers, black mirrors and smoke machines. It was a mini hound/ ministry. For the first few minutes I could not stop laughing but when we got on the stage to dance all the koreans were loving us. Hands in the air and lots of screaming etc.
No one is sat down and everyone is dancing, including the boys. All the girls are very dressed up in little skirts and huge heels and the boys all have very tight white t-shirts on. (Side note on korean men: they are hot! I really didn't expect this. I've been all over asia and never especially found asian men attractive but these korean boys are tres nice. And tall! Shame I'd squish them)
My mummy is coming to vist me on wed. I can't get rid of the bloody woman. I'm half way across the world and she finds me after only two weeks! (Joke, love you really mummy!) She's here for work and will be often.
Right off to work. Short day today. Yay!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Just in case you ever need to send me things. Marmite and teabags are always welcomed

Felicity Lloyd
538 J Building, 4th Floor
Bongsun-Dong, Namgu
Gwangju
South Korea
Jeollanam-do
503060

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP