Nature

>> Monday 9 November 2009

We weekend me and three of the girls went on an adventure to the countryside to see the leaves for the autumn festival.
I dragged my weary body out of bed at 7.30am on saturday and started off on my long journey. First a taxi, then a train, then a bus, then another bus and finally a cable car. But I'm skipping ahead.
After over breakfast of dunkin donuts (I resisted the kimchi donut - as tempting as it sounded) we boarded the train for our merry adventure. The bus was packed full of Koreans all in matching North Face walking gear. It's like the offical countryside uniform or something. When we got off the bus I britishness in me was delighted to find a queue (or a line for americans) and regardless of the fact that I had no idea what it was for I insisted we join it. It really pleases me that the Koreans appreciate a good queue.
It turned out to be a queue for another bus that took us further into the national park. This was like the Vengabus come to life. Hard-core techno music accompanying a traditional ballad.
The park was beautiful. Fantastically colourful but to be honest no more so than home.
I have never seen so many people out for a good stroll together. The koreans really bum nature.
As we were walking we also played the couple look game. Basically some korean couples wear matching outfits and when you spot them you punch the person you are with on the arm.
So after encountering the worlds ugliest drag queen and joining another queue we went up the cable car. At the top we made a child cry then celerated by drinking beer and loosing my return ticket.
Koreans also insist on feeding us. At the end of the day a group came over to us and tried to speak to us but with our limited korean and their even more limited english they quickly gave up and started to insist we eat their very odd food and dance with them outside 7-11. More food was given to us on the way to the train and also a random little old lady knocked on my door this evening to give me what I think is bean paste cake. They are such generous people, it is so lovely. I'm not really sure why they do it and even if the food turns out to be a bit odd the gesture is greatly appreciated.
Bed time I think. Getting my nails done tomorrow morning.
xoxoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Just in case you ever need to send me things. Marmite and teabags are always welcomed

Felicity Lloyd
538 J Building, 4th Floor
Bongsun-Dong, Namgu
Gwangju
South Korea
Jeollanam-do
503060

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP