Swine flu and snow

>> Tuesday 3 November 2009

Snow, snow, snow!!!!
Last week the weather in Gwangju was beautiful. Sunshine, flip-flops and sunglasses. Yesterday however it all changed. It was bloody freezing and we had a little bit of snow (less that a half an centimeter but still very exciting!). I an perfectly happy with this kind of cold but some of the other teachers are really suffering, especially the couple from Florida. They were both wrapped up in sleeping bag like coats, huge scarves and bobble hats. Bummer for them!
Below is a pic of the snow on the mountain at the center of the city. Obviously I didn't take it but you get the point.

Problem is that I don't have a really thick winter coat so if it gets bad I'm going to have to fashion something out of my tackyrose print bed sheets and wear that. The koreans already think I'm odd, now I'll just be rose printed odd.
Also, korea seems to be having a massive poo at the moment about swine flu. Half of the people in the city walk around wearing the masks, and even the kids are wearing them in school (maybe it's actually to disguise kimchi breath). This bugs the hell out of me cause it is hard enough to understand what they are trying to mumble without this silly little thing in front of their face that will not do ANYTHING to protect them.
The kids at my school are all having their temperature checked before they enter the building and being sent home straight away if they show any signs of illness but I've heard reports of parents sending their children to school when they have confirmed swine flu. School is that important to these parents. Crazy.
I suspect at some point we will all be required to wear them (as we know all know that it is the evil foriegners that cause these diseases) and if someone tells me too I'm going to draw a picture of a mouth with a mustache and a fag hanging out of it.
So far in Korea 40 people have died. I would suggest that their biggest issue is that everyone watches TV as they drive. Yes, as they drive. Not just a TV in the back of the head rest but up on the dash board so they watch whilst they are driving. Taking a cab can be a terrifying experience. Although probably safer than a rubber ring on a river in Laos.
xoxoxoxo

1 comments:

Adam and Nicole 3 November 2009 at 23:34  

Yes, it is true, as one of the Floridian's, I am absolutely freezing the second I step outside...but you my dear shopaholic can help me look cute and be warm at the same time!

Post a Comment

Just in case you ever need to send me things. Marmite and teabags are always welcomed

Felicity Lloyd
538 J Building, 4th Floor
Bongsun-Dong, Namgu
Gwangju
South Korea
Jeollanam-do
503060

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP